Companions Journeying Together (CJT) provides a forum to personally impact the emotional, spiritual and social lives of the incarcerated and their families. Our vision is for a society that lives by the principles of restorative justice.
CJT sends birthday, Mother’s Day, thinking of you and Christmas cards to imprisoned people. The cards may be given to the inmates to encourage and cheer them (signed or with words of encouragement) or blank cards, unsigned cards or stationery may be given to the inmates so that they can stay in touch with their families.
- Only PLAIN cards are allowed.
- Musical cards; cards that have multiple layers; and cards with glitter, tape, glued items, stickers, other substances or added decorations are NOT allowed.
- Each card must be inside a plain envelope that is NOT sealed.
- Messages should be friendly, NOT “preachy.” (Cards are available from Rose P for those who’d like to write messages. Sample messages are available in the CJT box on the mission table.)
- Messages on cards can be signed with donor’s first name only or Member / Friend of the United Protestant Church.
- Crayons or markers cannot be used.
Holidays away from loved one are hard. Birthdays can come and go without acknowledgement. Imagine a Mother’s Day when a mother can’t hold her child. Or perhaps Christmas when one is struggling to find the joy and celebration.
Ways you can help
- Donate inscribed cards to be sent to the inmates to cheer and encourage them.
- Donate blank or unsigned cards or stationery so that the inmates can keep in touch with their family.
- Donate blank or unsigned cards so that other UPC members can write an encouraging message to send. (When sending blank cards be sure to indicate your intended use – UPC member usage or sent blank to inmates. Unmarked cards will go to the inmates.)
- Donate reams of colored paper on which to print an insert letter
- Donate Postage stamps
- Donate Gallon Ziplock or paper lunch bags
- Spread the word: Tell others about Companions Journeying Together.
- Pray for this ministry