School & Community Assistance for Recycling and Composting Education
We help people discover how easy it can be to make a meaningful difference for our kids, for our environment, for our future…and often for all three at once.
- Legislation – Since 2004, we’ve helped pass 12 eco-friendly laws, helping to make Illinois a better, cleaner place to work and live.
- #PickUp5 Litter Clean-up
- JustPick Up 5 pieces of litter every time you go on a walk, are at the park, or a soccer game, etc.. It will make a difference.
- “One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.” John F. Kennedy
- Reuse & Recycle Center
- Provide low-cost books and school supplies to public school teachers and non-profit organizations here and around the world
- Keeping resources out of the landfill
- Super Crayons
- Whole, usable crayons are sorted into sets for underprivileged school children.
- The broken, unusable pieces will be melted into large Super Crayons in a variety of shapes which can be used by children with special needs.
Ways you can help?
- Collect any of the items listed below and put them in the bin marked SCARCE on the mission table – except for bikes. Contact Cinda for those.
- Spread the word: Tell others about SCARCE
- Pray for this ministry
- Books – any & all
- LP Records
- Holiday Lights
- Music CDs with cases (commercially-made only)
- Like-new games, puzzles, flash cards
- White boards, cork boards
- Musical Instruments
- 35mm Film Canisters
- Box Tops for Education
- Metal Jewelry – like-new, used or broken
- Bikes, Bike parts & accessories : Donate your old (but repairable) adult bikes, gently-used kid’s bikes, bike parts and accessories. These will be provided to Working Bikes who gives donated bicycles new life by redistributing them as tools of empowerment in local and global communities. Since its inception in 1999, have enabled new life for 100,000 bicycles across the globe and tens of thousands here in Chicago. Over one hundred thousand people have been empowered to access resources and opportunities that otherwise could have been out of reach – reducing waste, lessening pollution, and improving health in the process. Bicycles are the most reliable, sustainable, and environmentally friendly transportation option available, and we’re working towards a world where everyone has access to bicycle transportation, whether in Africa or Chicago!
- X-ray, MRI, and Lithographic Film :X-ray, MRI and lithographic film is coated with silver, a rare earth mineral, that can be recovered from x-rays for recycling and reuse. The film itself is made of PET plastic, the same that is used commonly for water bottles. The clean PET will also be recycled.
- School and Office Supplies: new/like-new
- Art Supplies – like-new only
- Calculators (no adding machines)
- Crayons (new, used, broken)
- Folders – unused, like-new (all kinds)
- Glue, Glue Sticks
- New Stickers & Labels – whole sheets or rolls
- Notebooks – unused or like-new
- Paper – unused, all kinds
- Paper Clips, Binder clips, Push Pins
- Pencil Sharpeners
- Poster board – unused
- Rulers & Protractors
- Staplers & Staples
- Tape, Tape Dispensers
- Unused Envelopes
- Writing Utensils: pens, pencils, markers etc