Around the House Missions
What is junk to you is useful to others.
“Give, and it will be given to you.” Luke 6:38
Bread Bag Tags
- Danielle Cares for Chairs is charity that collects and recycles plastic bread tags for funds to purchase wheelchairs for children in need.
- Bread tags are too small to be effectively recycled curbside.
- It takes about 260,000 bread tags to purchase a basic wheelchair – every bread tag counts!
- Help someone in need receive a wheelchair & keep more plastic from entering our landfills.
- She is also working with a prosthetics company who discovered that adding bread tags to the molding process makes the prosthetics stronger.
Ways you can help
- Donate tags: Collect plastic tags from bread, vegetables and fruit bags.
- Spread the word: Tell others about Dannielle Cares for Chairs. Ask friends and family to collect plastic tags with you. Ask your favorite restaurants to save them for you as well.
- Pray for this ministry
St Anastasia Food Pantry in Waukegan is in need of clean, dry grocery bags (paper or plastic). They use them for food distribution to those in need. If they have to purchase new ones, the cost cuts into what they can spend on food for their hungry neighbors. Please drop them in the bin in the narthex.
Pop Top Tabs
Our mission is to keep families together and promote the health and well-being of children.
We offer a place to call home at little or no cost, so families can stay together.
The House is more than just a place to stay. We offer families therapeutic programming, a comprehensive meal program, comfortable community spaces and so much more. No one is ever turned away for their inability to pay.
Since 2000, recycling the little aluminum tabs from soda cans, soup cans and tennis ball canisters has generated nearly $400,000 for Ronald McDonald House®.
Ways you can help
- Donate tabs: Collect and donate top tabs.
- Spread the word: Tell others about Ronald McDonald House. Ask friends and family to collect pop top tabs with you.
- Pray for this ministry
Prescription eyeglasses and frames, sunglasses, hearing aids, keys, key fobs, cell phones, electrical cords/wires and Christmas lights.
In 1925, Helen Keller challenged the Lions Club to become “knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness.” They accepted.
Today, sight programs remain one of their defining causes. Donate used prescription eyeglasses, sunglasses, hearing aids, keys, key fobs, cell phones, electrical cords/wires and Christmas lights to help them support their missions.
Bring in your used ink jet or laser jet cartridges and when we recycle them, UPC earns money towards INK180’s fight against human trafficking.
Ways you can help
- Donate tabs: ink jet or laser jet cartridges.
- Spread the word: Tell others about INK180 and their fight against human trafficking.
- Ask friends and family to collect ink jet or laser jet carteridges with you.
- Pray for this ministry
The following programs are recycling based to help us fulfill our commitment to care for the earth. All of these items will go in the bin marked Terracycle. Please be sure all items are clean, empty & dry. If you have any questions, see Cinda.
Did you know that if you recycle items with Terra Cycle through UPC, we earn money to support other missions like Feed My Starving Children? Isn’t that better than throwing them in the trash or recycling curbside? You can keep it out of the landfill and help others at the same time. Give it a try.
Arm & Hammer (TM) and Oxiclean (TM) plastic pouches
- Arm & Hammer (TM) Baking Soda pouches
- Arm & Hammer (TM) Power Paks Laundry Detergent pouches
- Oxiclean (TM) Laundry Detergent Paks pouches
- Oxiclean (TM) 2 in 1 Stain fighter Power Paks pouches
- Oxiclean (TM) White Revive Laundry Stain Remover Power Paks pouches
Bimbo Bakery Program
All Bimbo Bakeries USA bread, buns, bagels, and English muffins bags.
NOTE: Please remove stickers, adhesives and crumbs from your Bimbo Bakeries USA bread and bakery bags
The following are Bimbo Bakery brands:
- Thomas, Sara Lee, Arnold, Brownberry, Oroweat, Entemann’s, Ball Park, Bay’s, Marinela, Bimbo, Maier’s, Beefsteak, Boboli, Mrs. Baird’s, Freihofer’s, Heiner’s, Grandma Sycamore’s Home Maid Bread, Tia Rosa, Stroehmann, Nature’s Harvest and Sanissimo.
Drink Pouch Recycling® – any brands
1. Aluminum and plastic drink pouches (no need to remove the straws)
2. Drink pouches with spouts
Be sure the pouches are empty of all liquid.
Dunkin’® Coffee Bag Recycling Program
All Dunkin’ branded flexible ground and whole bean coffee bags.
Gatorade Beyond the Bounds Recycling Program
Gatorade® / G Endurance® Muscle Milk® Protein Bar Wrappers
- Gatorade Gx® Pods EVOLVE® Protein Bar Wrappers
- G Endurance Energy Gel Pouches and Carb Energy Chew Wrappers Propel® Powder Sticks/Sachets
- Gatorade, Gatorade Zero, G2, G Endurance Powder Sticks/Sachets NOTE: This program does not accept single use plastic bottles.
- Gatorade Protein Bar Wrappers
- Gatorade Prime® Sports Fuel Drink Pouches and Energy Chew Wrappers
Gerber® Recycling Program
Gerber baby food packaging, such as
- flexible or rigid plastic packaging
- shrink labels, plastic containers
- plastic lids
- flexible plastic pouches
- small and large hook Gerber baby clothing hangers
Be sure that all containers are empty.
GoGo squeeZ® Recycling Program
Recycle all healthy snack plastic pouches and caps.
Note: Please make sure all excess product has been removed (i.e. leftover applesauce). Additionally, if you choose to rinse your product, please note that it must be completely dry.
Hasbro Toy Recycling Program
If you have games or toys at home that are missing pieces or are just too worn to give to charity, here is a better solution than dumping them in a landfill. Recycle all Hasbro toys and games, including: board games, electronic toys & games, metal/plastic/wood toys & games, action figures, dolls, plush toys, etc. right here at UPC.
Check the collection bin for a list of popular Hasbro brands, if you are unsure.
Not accepted are:
- Juvenile Products (e.g., playpens, car seats, high chairs, swings, bouncy seats, etc.)
- Ride-On Products (e.g., bicycles, tricycles, scooters, skateboards, etc.)
Rubbermaid® Food Storage Free Recycling Program
Saks Beauty Recycling Program Free Recycling Program
All brands of empty cosmetics, haircare, and skincare packaging, such as:
- Lipstick, lip balm, and lip gloss tubes, cases, and caps
- Mascara tubes
- Eyeliner pencils and cases
- Eyeshadow and bronzer cases
- Foundation packaging
- Plastic and glass tubes, pots, pumps, sprays, and jars
- Powder cases
- Eyeshadow and concealer tubes and sticks
- Shampoo and conditioner bottles, caps, and pumps
- Hair gel and styling product tubes and pots
- Non-aerosol hair spray bottles, triggers, and pumps
- Body lotion and body wash bottles and caps
- Face cream and sunscreen tubes and pumps
- Cleanser and serum packaging
- Soap bottles and dispensers
Not accepted items include: Aerosols, cardboard packaging, electronic or battery-powered items, makeup wipes and sponges, nail polish, perfume, reusable cotton pads and cloths, wooden pencils and makeup brushes, sharps, broken glass, and razors.
Spin Master Recycling Program
If you have games or toys at home that are missing pieces or are just too worn to give to charity, here is a better solution than dumping them in a landfill. Recycle Spin Master toys and games (except Kinetic Sand and Orbeez) at UPC.
Aerobie Air Hogs B*Pack Bakugan
Batman Cool Maker DC Universe Dragons Rescue Riders
Dreamworks Dragons Etch a Sketch Gabby’s Dollhouse Gund
Hatchimals inkFLUENCER League of Legends Mecano
Mermaid High Monster Jam Lushes Pets Paw Patrol
Peek-a-Roo Present Pets Purse Pets Spin Master Games
Supercross Twisty Pets Wizarding World: Harry Potter Zoobles
Stanley Black & Decker Tool Free Recycling Program
Swiffer® Recycling Program
Program accepted items:
1. Sweeper™ Dry Refills
2. Sweeper™ Wet Refills
3. Sweeper™ XL Refills
4. WetJet™ Refills
5. Duster™ Refills
Note: Items must be completely dry and in a plastic grocery bag.
Takis® Snacks Recycling Program
Program accepts flexible plastic bags and canisters from:
Takis® Snacks, Takis® Rolled Tortilla Chips, Takis® STIX™, Takis® POP!, Takis® Waves, Takis® Kettlez and Takis® Crisps .
Note: Please remove as much of the remaining product (i.e. crumbs) as possible.
Tide Recycling® – limited brands
Fabric care products and packaging from Tide, Gain, Downy, NBD & Dreft brands.
- Nozzle clips
- Dispensing cups
- Plastic packaging wraps
- Flexible plastic bags
- Tide To Go pens
- Rigid plastic tubs and lids
Tom’s of Maine Natural Care Recycling® – any brands
1. Mouthwash bottles and caps
2. Deodorant containers and caps
3. Toothpaste tubes and caps
4. Soap packaging
5. Floss containers
Ways you can help:
1. Participate in one of the missions or TerraCycle programs listed above
2. Spread the word! Get others to save these items too.
3. Pray for these ministries